Quote of Inspiration

I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Atilla and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar



Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Garden

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was sitting on the sofa today researching lavender and gardening, and then I was reminded of the importance of action vs. planning vs. sitting on the sofa planning to death.

So, I just went outside, in my running shoes and workout clothes, and dug up one flower bed.

It wasn't at all pretty. I had no gloves. I know now why gardeners use gloves. And I wasn't using the right tools at the right times. Add to that the presence of my little 5-year-old helper who kept flinging dirt in my face with the small shovel, and we were a sight.

I'll post this week about why I want to garden at all, my past experiences with gardening and where I hope to go with these flower beds.


Until then, here are a few pics of today's before and after shots.



My helper (who assured me he didn't have to go to the bathroom)......


The beds.....there are two....I worked on the lower bed today.







I have no idea where we got this, but I'm using it.




Some of the clover I started with......



I noticed some patches of white stuff on the soil in parts.....I'm assuming some sort of dodgy mold? I need someone to identify please.....




Is it me, or are all those root thingies waffle?




This ol' girl gave me a run for my money.....who knew a plant could be so hard to dig out? Clover looks so nice and gentle and sweet. It's not so sweet underneath. But....after all....what is?



BW brought his plastic slide over to the wheel barrow to create some slide-action for the plants. It was super helpful and thoughtful of him. He has a lovely brain.



The 'after' shot.....that's all I can muster today.




Our little man....next to the full-up wheel barrow. I have no idea what to do with all that stuff, so it's still sitting next to the flower bed!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a serious workout! I love your garden helper- that slide idea is really original. That bed looks great now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...